Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Chain Maille Jewelry Workshop



Fire Breathing Dragon Scale Weave

 
A couple of years ago, my chain maille necklace was juried into the show “Maturity and its Myth.” The show was built around artist over the age of 70 whose creative juices were still flowing. Although, for many of us, our skin was now extremely dry and wrinkled.

I had wanted to create a piece incorporating the dragonscale weave chain maille pattern, but unfortunately after many hours of coiling, cutting, opening, and closing, I couldn’t get the aspect ratio to work. I settled on the European four in one as pictured below with the wire-wrapped Swarovski pendant as a focal point.

This book would have saved me many hours of labor and frustration. The information presented covers jump ring gauges, inner diameter, and aspect ratio. The purist can make jump rings or take the easier route and purchase same. The color coded illustrations and directions are easy to follow which solves the puzzle of “what goes next”?

Everything from Byzantine, Spiral, European, Parallel, Round, Persian, and my elusive Dragonscale Weaves are presented. The author, Karen Karon even shares a Half Persian starter tool which is wonderful for giving stability to this weave.

Thank you Interweave for leading this chain maille aficionado down the safe path. That fire-breathing dragon scale creature has been conquered and extinguished.


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I too have had trouble with a pattern only to come across a publication to give me an ahhh haaaa moment, too late. I will check out this book.

    atgib@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must go have a look at this one! Your 4-in-1 turned out beautifully!
    Wendy

    wnon2005@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete