Monday, November 19, 2012

I Can Herringbone


Sounds Fishy to Me

Many years ago I made my husband a scarf on a six harness table loom. It was a herringbone black and white pattern. Unfortunately, I didn’t dress the loom with enough warps, but I told him I had designed it to be worn as an ascot. He said “this sounds fishy to me,” but he wore it on a few cold winter nights. Looked very dashing!

The book “I Can Herringbone, by Lark Books leads the reader from the basic stitch to the more advanced techniques. Once again, as in all good presentations, we are introduced to the materials and tools. The chapters explore flat herringbone stitch projects, tubular, and variations on this theme. Final chapter explores bezeled stone creations. All very large illustrations show the working thread in black, and there is further clarification of needle path.

Most of the designs utilize the ubiquitous size 15’s 8’s, or 11’s seed beads. Thus because many of us stockpile these sizes, we can be off and stitching. Projects are presented for different levels of difficulty.

Nothing is an insurmountable challenge.

It was really interesting to view these projects in the context of their herringbone technique. If I decide to make the willow lariat it will be easy. I won’t have to guess the finished length. The dimensions are spelled out. Nothing fishy here.




2 comments:

  1. Beading isn't exactly my style, as I much prefer working with metals and stones, but it looks like an interesting book none the less.

    Brew
    brwmeistr9@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seed beading can be very relaxing once you know the stitch. gdevoid@tds.net

    ReplyDelete