Monday, February 18, 2013

Dimensional Bead Embroidery

Jamie Cloud Eakin

Lark Jewelry & Beading

One of my favorite pastimes during my childhood was embroidery work. A trip to the local Ben Franklin store filled me with sweet anticipation. The array of colored floss would pull me in like a magnet. Hoops and needles were neatly arranged on the shelves, along with stamped pillow cases, dollies, bibs, hand towels and other sundry items. Once the selections were made, I knew my weekend days would be filled with the joy of making French knots, satin, running, stem, feather, tent stitches, etc.

The book “Dimensional Bead Embroidery” takes one on a new adventure in embroidery land. But this time, the allure is the beads. I had attempted bead embroidery before without too much success, but this book is a wonderful aid. Its primary focus is bead embroidery techniques for all levels of experience. The photographic images and drawings are well defined and very instructive in illustrating the various concepts.

In each chapter, the reader is taken by the hand and led down the yellow brick road. From basic techniques to specific stitches and then on to components, no brick is left unturned. If your design calls for a cabochon focal point, the instructions point the way. Some projects can be completed in an evening, others take more time.

What is the hurry though? In the long run, the land of “Dimensional Bead Embroidery” is a wonderful awakening experience.




6 comments:

  1. I bought this book as Jamie's books on embroidery are some of the best beading books out there. I am using the inspiration from this book to create an entry for the Bead & Button Show contest. I highly recommend this one!

    Gail Devoid
    gdevoid@tds.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book plus who the author is sounds like a must have for my personal library.
    Linda Mays/ lmmays@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a book I'm really looking forward to reading, because I've found her other books to be top-notch.

    Jo Anna Strong jdstrongaz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also looking forward to adding to my library. Debra ONeal / debra_oneal@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting! I've tried on my one, but have had no success. I think I need this book. anita_amyotte@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete