Monday, February 18, 2013

The Craft of Silversmithing

Alex Austin

Lark Jewelry


Have you ever watched a silversmith take a flat sheet of metal and transform it into a three dimensional object? It is not a magical apparition. Simple hammering, filing and folding produce a lovely baby spoon keepsake. Straight silver rods can be forged to design well balanced cutlery place settings. Sinking and raising will change the nature of the metal.

All of the projects in this book are beautifully photographed. They provide prime examples of what occurs when metal is “moved.”

Many years ago Heikki Seppa took me on a wild ride to the “Craft of Silversmithing.” When I was working in his studio I reminisced about my childhood trip to Williamsburg. I watched in amazement as the metal was manipulated into a beautiful goblet. But, in my adult life, observing and working in the master’s studio stoked my fire. Heikki’s fingers were an extension of the metal as he first cut out the sheet and put it on the rolling mill to reduce it down. He then began the process of turning the gold into a labor of love. The finished goblet reflected shimmering rays of light from its beautifully formed contours.

This book contains many intriguing projects. Some are more complex than others. I was particularly intrigued by the spatula and pies sever. What lovely utensils to utilize when entertaining company. My husband and I have been married over sixty years. We still cherish the beautiful hand crafted cup out of which we first sipped the sweet wine.

This book “The Craft of Silversmithing” goes above and beyond many “how-to” tomes. Its presentation is beautiful and the finished projects will become “keepsakes” for all to savor from generation to generation.




3 comments:

  1. We are so fortunate to have such books as this one.

    Gail Devoid
    gdevoid@tds.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a marvelous book. I love your reviews with little insights into your life.

    Kate
    fontsy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for yet another informative review - this book's calling me!

    Bonnie
    Beadgarden@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete