Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Japanese Beadwork With Sonoko Nozue

When You Wish Upon a Star

Several years ago, Sonoko sent me a signed copy of her book, “ Mode de Beads.”   I was mesmerized.  The artistry was amazing and each and every piece of jewelry was breathtakingly beautiful. 

The instructions were straightforward, but they were written in Japanese.
I contacted a young Japanese student to whom I had been introduced.  She was kind enough to translate one of the designs.  But, since she was unfamiliar with the “beading world” and I with her written world, our attempt at collaboration was not very successful.  

The process and jewelry featured in the new translated version are very well defined.  “Sweet Breeze,” a netted shawl, particularly caught my eye.  I could envision a young woman wearing it as she strolled through a fragrant garden with her love.  It was gorgeous and so utterly fluid and feminine.

Sonoko Nozue is a gifted master artisan.  Her 25 jewelry designs are exquisite. Her color pallet is captivating.  Thank you, Sonoko, for the gift of your translated book to all of your admirers.  I can’t wait to collect my tools, beads, and thread, and get started. 

 Sometimes when we wish upon a star, our dreams do come true!  

No comments:

Post a Comment