Monday, March 19, 2012

Ring A Day

Marthe Le Van

The Ubiquitous Circle

In this book "Ring A Day," artists were challenged to make a ring a day. I can't even think of a "meal a day." What should I make for dinner even though I might have all the necessary ingredients? Perhaps what I've always been missing in my menu planning sessions is my inability to visualize that special "something," take that "something," and make "something."

These artisans across the globe submitted over 700 rings. They represented fantasy, inorganic forms, animate and inanimate creations, etc. A myriad of materials were used: wood, sponge, plastic, glass, metal, paper, string, wax, pods, shells, clay, ribbon, twisty ties, leaves, thread. Their cupboards spilled over.

"Ring A Day" is an interesting fun book to peruse. One's studio doesn't have to be filled with all kinds of gadgets and materials. These artists have the ability to see the fascinating potential of everything in their field of vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment