Monday, March 19, 2012

Color,Texture & Casting for Jewelers

This book by the gifted studio jeweler, Charles Codina, is better than Metalsmithing 101. The various techniques covered are granulation, kum boo, plating, melted filings, mukume game, casting, and granulation. The detailed photographs captured the processes involved, and the closeups of the step-by-step instructions were amazing. I could feel the heat eminating from the torch and furnace. Both necessary materials and tools were covered in this publication. None of my questions were left unanswered.

Over the years, I have experimented with most of these techniques in either a university classroom setting or my own studio. After perusing the book's contents, I was transported back to these college metalsmithing courses. I believe this book provides those jewelry making students with a multitude of learning oppportunities minus a hefty college tuition.


No comments:

Post a Comment