Thursday, September 6, 2012

Crochet Garden


Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

Suzann Thompson has created a lovely book.  She chooses some of my favorite blooms from my spring and summer garden.  Fortunately none were as labor intensive to cultivate as my blooms.  None required fertilizing, weeding, pruning, and pinching.  Her tools are small and light weight.  She had no need of a barrel, spade, or hoe.

“Crochet Garden” takes the reader thru easy, intermediate and experienced skill levels.  The instructions leave nothing to chance.  The author illustrates how different types of yarn and different hook sizes creates different looks, all of which are very appealing when completed.  This book doesn’t present a “how-to” glossary of crochet stitches.  Various sites are cited where one can refresh this vocabulary.   The importance of proper blocking and finishing is emphasized.

I attempted to crochet some of the flowers and leaves presented in this comprehensive book.  The easy one, such as the Sunflower on page 60, was just that.  The Dogwood, on page 40, enticed me to try to reproduce this lacy bloom.  Although it was an intermediate pattern, I was able to recreate it after a couple of attempts.

Inasmuch as my writing skills are better developed than my crochet ones, I didn’t attempt the Forget Me Not.  But, I will certainly do so in the near future.  Maybe it will just take a little bit more perseverance such as Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, displayed when planting her backyard ever blooming garden.









 

9 comments:

  1. tammyskowhegan1@comcast.net
    Love the review as usual. I always know what the book is really about after reading your reviews! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuci01@yahoo.com This book would be a good deal

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks lovely! SheilaSchnauzies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great book. Thank you.
    darlene.demell@sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. crochetjam@yahoo.com

    Would love to win this book.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't think I have much chance of winning, but I love making flowers so I have added this to my wish list, :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crocheted flowers are a favorite of mine. Iwould love to own this book!

    ReplyDelete