Saturday, July 14, 2012

1000 RINGS


A Smorgasbord of Styles

Several years ago, Robert Ebendorf presented a seminar at Craft Alliance in St. Louis. He also stated at the time that “rings have always made a powerful statement.” I was wearing a necklace which I had designed with an intricate chain....think “rings.” He pointed out the various features of these rings and the construction of the piece. I was flattered by his comments and have continued to think about my message when I envision a design.

The wonderful and diverse variety of the rings featured in this book is both imaginative and engaging. I was delighted with the whimsical feathers incorporated into Serena Van Rensselaer’s “Isadora Ring.” Hope her client checked on the weather report before venturing outside.

Eva Werner’s ring reminded me of a hamster’s wheel. Thought it would be fun to take a spin around town with this on my finger.

Bruce Clark’s “Scratch That Itch” ring demonstrated in my mind that on design day he was warning people that they had better not get too close.

Inasmuch as my primary interest is “textile techniques in metal,” I loved Cathy Chotard’s gold and nylon thread ring. SergeyJivetin’s “Volume” ring elicited that same kind of response.

Michael Boyd’s rings were very captivating with their encrusted gemstone shanks. This “Poison Rings” group would certainly come in handy if one was in a tight spot.

Jeffery Taylor’s ring would be helpful on the cleaning lady’s day off.

Junghyun Woo’s “Something Container” with ring was beautifully simplistic. Each complimented the other.

All rings featured in this book illustrate the creative nature of the designers. Their choice of material is endless which range from every day items found in the home, and field, to gold, silver, platinum, titanium, gemstones, pearls, etc. The designs run from the ridiculous to the sublime. They are great conversation starters which don’t belong in gallery drawers, but on fingers for all to examine, question, and enjoy.




21 comments:

  1. My email address is gdevoid@tds.net and I would like to be entered into the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email address is vangardpace@yahoo.com I would like to be entered into the contest.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. burns.cindy@gmail.com
    Please enter me in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tallxx1@yahoo.com
    Please enter me in the contest

    ReplyDelete
  5. susgo1@hotmail.com. Pls enter me in the contest

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is packed with inspiration; I'd love to have it in my library. Please enter me in the giveaway - and thanks!

    slkunze@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, who wouldn't want another book, especially one with 1000 rings to spark some creativity in yourself for designing one of your own? Please enter me in the contest.

    SilversmithGoddess@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can always use help.

    rlbarnesesq@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. please enter me in the contest. I enjoy your reviews email is mhoreen at mho dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for entry-
    ecr.midlo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great book. Please enter me in the contest:
    woodmontaccessories at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dewey.Jenn@gmail.com
    Please enter me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dewey.Jenn@gmail.com
    Please enter me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like it has some yummy eye-candy.

    Darrell
    dwgrant at cogeco.ca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please enter me in the contest. Amy dot toohey at gmail dot com. Looks like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please enter me in the contest. Amy dot toohey at gmail dot com. Looks like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book looks like it belongs on my bookshelf :) Thank you! Beadgarden @ gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love rings! 8bitrings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this. Please enter me into contest. banphriosa @ yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love rings and all the ways to make them! Sounds like a winner of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oops, forgot my email
    leeoding@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete