Thursday, July 26, 2012

SHOWCASE 500 BEADED JEWELRY



A Grain of Sand

Have you ever walked on the beach and felt the warm sand between your toes? The warmth envelopes your entire being. Sometimes a rather drab day enfolds you in this wonderful happening. As I experienced this book, I kept thinking about the grains of sand that are part of the entity that makes up “beads.”

“Showcase 500” introduces the wonderfully talented artisans that take these tiny spherical forms and create magic. Many of the wearable art forms must have taken hours to create, but what’s the rush? The finished pieces are glorious. Bead weaving, bead embroidery, and bead stringing are some of the methods embraced to produce these amazing body and hand adornments.

After perusing the book, I watched a video of Teresa Sullivan’s bead work. She is a master in this medium. The piece she demonstrated was a sculptural bead head. Her actions were quick and decisive in her choice of beads and colors. The finished bead was quirky and delightful.

Met Innmon drew me in with her Egyptian Waves Collar. I could visualize it as Cleopatra (Elizabeth Taylor) wore it. No wonder Julius Caesar (Richard Burton) could not resist her wily ways.

Hub Peterson’s Blue Waterlillies necklace is beautifully designed and constructed. Wow, wouldn’t I be the bell of the ball at a summer party as I entertained in the gazebo.

The photographs in this book captured each and every tiny colorful speck worked by the talented beaders as they created. What a delightful memory of my walks on the beach this inspiration book elicited.









13 comments:

  1. I so want this book!
    bysalla@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a book I must add to my growing collection. Thank you for reviewing it.
    volunteer22002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks interesting and challenging. Lovely review.
    leeoding@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! It make3s me want this book. I would love to be inspired by these artists.

    Thank you for the offer!

    Zan
    zanc@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one definitely on my wish list!
    Judy
    gbotts1@tampabay.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh please!
    marjorymail-private@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent review!
    finebutnotdandy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I would love to get my hands on this book. I love the pics alone on the cover, nevermind the ones inside. Would be such fun creating something new and fantastic from it.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your great review. I am delighted with the book, especially since my little Gourd piece, "Heart and Hands" is on page 88. I have written about the book on my blog, http://vivianhelena-creates.blogspot.com/, and Facebook. I am looking forward to an article in our local paper, and more of my gourd art is featured at Timberline Gallery in Oakhurst. Great review, thank you. vivian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great review of a great book.
    maguire.b@sbcglobal.net Beverly Maguire

    ReplyDelete