Wednesday, July 25, 2012

METAL CLAY & COLOR


24 In a Box

Ice cream cones were special. But, my favorite treat was a “24 in a box” crayon set. At that time, this box was considered to hold all the colors of the rainbow and then some. I could spend hours swiping them across the paper, coloring in blocks of letters, melting and combining them, and generally enjoying all their intrinsic colorful beauty.

I got this same sense of the effect of color when I reviewed Kalmbach Publishing newest book, “Metal Clay & Color.” Several years ago I played around with metal clay. Although there were many aspect of the material I found to be interesting, the lack of color to me was a turn-off. Not anymore! This “colorful” book by Mary Wohlgemuth, with a foreword by Celie Fago, is a must see, must have read for all metal clay artisans.

There are numerous projects listed beginning with “Easy keum-boo” where one can even utilize gold leaf, to a series of “Legends Rings” where one is introduced to the use of dichroic glass scraps to create various colored dynamic cabochons.

Color agents such as dye oxides, polymer clay, ceramic clay, and low fire under glazes are utilized in many of the projects. Gilders paste, a durable wax medium is introduced which adds an extra punch to the Flor earrings project. Alcohol ink is another technique used with great success.

This book is a Pandora’s crayon box of more than 24 colors for the metal clay artist. Watch out “Crayola” you now have lots of competition.



5 comments:

  1. Metal Clay is one medium I have not tried yet. This book might get me started. Please enter me into the contest: gdevoid@tds.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail for being such a devoted follower of my book review blog. I will enter you in the contest.

      Please also encourage your friends and family to read my reviews and link to Amazon.com from my site when they make any purchases. Helps raise my review rank.

      Ray W.

      Delete
  2. Loved your review, your blog, and your contest idea. Clever social marketing! Please enter me: Irene.e.greenberg@gmail.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for the review of Metal Clay and Color. The gold in the keum boo tutorial is gold Foil not leaf. Leaf is too thin. And I also used planned dichroic, not scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for giving this book an outstanding review! I think it was a great undertaking having so many artists ideas, and techniques available in one source!
    The alcohol inks I wrote about can be painted on metal like water color on canvas, layering it giving depth and effects. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete