Wednesday, August 1, 2012

500 Necklaces

The Juice Table Book

Many of the marvelous Lark Books are described as “coffee table books.” They are great conversation tomes. Since I don’t drink coffee wherever I sit or recline, what should I call them?

Finally the inspiration came to me. On glass table surrounded by clutter, a brimming crimson glass of cranberry juice stood out. Thus I labeled my table “The Juice Table.”

“500 Necklaces” is a beautifully produced book to sit on any “juice table,” to be picked up, contemplated, and examined page by page. Juried by Marjorie Schick, this was quite a demanding task. She had to consider over 5000 entries. I believe she was very astute in her final 500 choices.

The necklace form of adornment goes back to the Neolithic Age, around 15,000 BC. There are many reasons given for making necklaces such as “demonstrations of power, love, status, religion, and wealth, etc.” My reasons are pure and simple. I create because the act gives me tranquility and happiness.

The materials utilized in the featured group ranges from the radiant gold, fine silver, and wonderful gemstones, to the innovative use of steel, silver, and hosiery (now I know not to discard anything,) by Sarah Turner. Christine Bossler’s neckpiece tickled my fancy. Yael Krakowski “Elephant Necklace” with glass beads and knitted cotton thread related to my interest in textile techniques for jewelry. Dallae Kang captivating squared box-like shaped structure was tension set, fabricated and hand cut, making use of sterling silver, and acrylic.

These are just a few of the presentations that drew me into the book. They all project a wonderful glass filled to the brim with creativity. I believe “500 Necklaces” is guaranteed to quench your thirst with inspiration. This is another winning “Juice Table Book.”



4 comments: