Saturday, August 11, 2012

500 Earrings


Precious Lobes


Lightness, length, movement, suspension, symmetry, etc., are always attributes to take into consideration when designing earrings. No other forms of jewelry are as visible as earrings. They are sculptural manifestations of a designer’s and wearer’s mindset.

“500 Earrings” published by Lark Books, is a wonderful compilation of unique and interesting forms, concepts, and presentation.

Ear piercing was something I had never considered until I was in my late 20’s. Since my budget was limited, I could never envision owning a pair of Tami Dean’s Glitz Kick earrings of 18Kt gold decorated with rainbow pyrite, spinel, and diamonds. My style gravitated to a simple pair with small hoops and a most uncomfortable clip on mechanism.

Sometimes I would wear a conventional pair of pearl earrings, decorated with a faux jewel dangling on a jump ring. Nothing was as striking as Deborrah Dahr’s Red, White, and Blue earrings created using 22kt, and 18kt gold, lapis lazuli, garnet, and pearl.

Today, my style has changed, but alas not my jewelry budget. What I would give to own Masako Onodera’s “The Mating Season.” I have a long neck and the sterling silver, freshwater pearl, polyethylene cord earrings would surely enhance any of my ensembles

Hsiao Chia-Pei “Change” with its aluminum, dye and anodized material sieve like shape might fit well into my stash of kitchen utensils.

Alan Revere’s shield like shaped earrings “Pearl Reflections” brings out the battle cry in me.

Tessa E. Richard’s earrings could be worn as a hat if one was so inclined.

The earrings featured in “500 Earrings” should convince a designer that “once you get the hand of it,” anything goes.





5 comments:

  1. Another great book coming from Lark! Please enter me into the contest:

    gdevoid@tds.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love their books; I have the wedding ring book and I refer to it all the time. The glass bead book is wonderful too.

    And I'd love this one, hint hint!

    Celia@celiamilton.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds like a wonderful, inspiring book! I'd love to have it!

    darkphoenix54@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like another must-have Lark book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, sounds interesting to read.

    john@rasmussengems.com

    John

    ReplyDelete