Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Complete Book of Jewelry Making

By Carles Codina

Not Just Another Juice Table Book

This Lark Books publication is heavy with material and not just weight. I studied with Heikki Seppa for many years. He had retired as the “master” in the Fine Arts Metal Department at Washington University in St. Louis. During our sessions together, his adage was “learn one, teach one.”

Carles Condina does just that. He learned his lessons well. In this well documented and illustrated book, there are lessons that he shares to be studied and learned by all.

I used to marvel at the ingenious hinges, pin back, and latches that I would examine on many pieces of jewelry. How does one construct, place, and design these elements to do their trick. How does one become “unhinged?”

My strong recommendation is to get your gloves on this book. It contains invaluable information on many of the skills needed to become a heavyweight in the jewelry making arena.



10 comments:

  1. john@rasmussengems.com

    Terrific review; going to amazon to check out the book. Thanks.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. Always happy when someone enjoys my reviews.

      Ray

      Delete
  2. this truly is a great book. i feel that the place i am today in this industry is due to books like this and professionals such as codina. this is one book not to be missed by experts and beginners alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100% Brian. This book is a treasure trove of information.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. gdevoid@tds.net

    This looks like a great beginner's book. If I win, I will donate it to the Bead Society of NH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing about this book. dragonwngs@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the review and found it helpful. It would be great to win this book.
    zanc@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this book in my library and find it very helpful.

    atgib@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks like a great book to own. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete