Friday, August 17, 2012

Making Metal Clay Jewelry

It’s Probably on the Shelf

As I looked over this list of supplies in this book written by Cindy Thomas Pankopf, and published by Kalmbach Publishing, I was overjoyed.

In terms of the tools listed, no problem. I have a deck or two of cards. When I’m thinking about my next book review, the game of solitaire helps me focus. My kitchen cabinet proudly displays my butane torch which I light with quite a dramatic flourish when presenting my crème brule. Freezer paper is ever present for the meats and poultry brought home to languish in the freezer. Striped and multicolored straws rest side by side in the drawer for my grandchildren’s visits. Paper towels are stacked row after row, can’t ever turn away from a sale at Cosco. Oven toaster always plugged in ready to go inasmuch as it was once reserved for bagels. Always plenty of olive oil and hopefully neither I nor it will get rancid before our time. Files, paintbrushes, sandpaper, drill bits, tweezers, and polishing pads are a given in any artist studio.

The above is not a long list and is a fairly inexpensive one. Once you have them all collected, you are ready to go for it.

“Making Metal Clay Jewelry” has a wonderful step by step progression of exercises. The oval loop earrings on page thirty are a great example of an easy but sharp look finished project. The photography is excellent and directions are easy to follow. Very good tips are presented on practically every page.

Pendants, rings, earrings, stone setting, bracelets, necklaces, and beads beckons the metal clay enthusiasts on each and every page of the book. One can have almost immediate gratification when attempting any of the designs. And, you don’t have to worry that you’ll make the kitchen too hot when lighting your oven.



3 comments:

  1. great review. a genre that i do not use, but i like to open new horizons.

    john@rasmussengems.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the review. I would love to be entered into the draw to win one of the books. Thanks, Debby

    demillersails@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the review...now I need the book. lol
    Tammyskowhegan1@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete