Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Metal Clay Rings

Not Enough Fingers or Toes

Do you remember playing with that lump of clay as a child; kneading it and then rolling it into a ball? I would pull off a small amount, roll it on a hard surface to create a snake and then form it into a ring. If it was well done, I would keep if, if not so well done, I would give it to my younger sister.

I marvel at the various styles of rings presented in this book by Irina Miech, published by Kalmbach Publishing. All were constructed using silver metal clay PMC3 which comes in lump, syringe, paste, and sheet.

The rings in “Metal Clay Rings” are more than snakes of clay. Their thickness is measured and then the various projects show step by step instructions for finished rings that have been fashioned by various techniques. Some have been rolled and trimmed, others incised or stamped, while others illustrate such techniques as molding. Many are enhanced with CZ and lab-grown stones and dichroic glass.

There is no guess work involved. It was almost like deja vu. Hot or cold weather didn’t deter me. All I needed was my small lump of clay.

What my sister wouldn’t give for one of these delightful metal clay rings.





1 comment: