Friday, April 27, 2012

500 Wedding Rings

"I DO"
Many years ago, my husband and I made a commitment to each other. I would share with him all of my worldly goods. I was the only one working. He,in turn,would finish school and then share with me all of his income-derived worldly goods. To seal our love, he gave me his mother's diamond wedding ring. I in turn, many years later, gave this diamond to my son to share with his beloved.

After viewing "500 Wedding Rings," I am amazed how the styles have evolved. The ceative genius of this collective group is mindboggling. The author states that "ancient civilizations living along the furtile plans of the Nile River were the first people to form tokens of commitment." Grasses and reeds were twisted and turned into this expression of commitment. Iron, with its amazing strength, was utilized both then and today.

As a child, I remember sitting on my front porch where I had gathered a pile of small clover flowers. I then proceeded to tie them into garlands of necklaces, bracelets, and rings. Problem, they didn't last very long, but they didn't cost very much either.

Today's rings, as featured in this lovely visual book, are unique and inspirational. They range from the rediculous to the sublime. They are woven, fused, fabricated, oxidized, brushed, machined, cast, etched, welded, forged, and repoussed,etc. Materials used are steel, mesh, wood, resin, gold, platium, silver, glass, copper, magnets, brass, plastic tubing, velcro, fabric, mokume,etc. This list of techniques and materials are as never ending as some couple's commitment to one another.

If I could persuade my husband to consider a new wedding ring purchase, I would choose this book as his bible. I wouldn't be demanding. "Just select one of the designers featured here, and I will guarantee our union will last at least another 25 years." We will soon celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary.










No comments:

Post a Comment