Monday, April 23, 2012

Creating Glass Beads

Breathless

Creating Glass Beads: A New Workshop to Expand Your Beginner Skills and Develop Your Artistic Voice (Hardcover) Many years ago, as part of my Art Education degree requirements, I took a class in glass blowing. It literally left me breathless. The molten glass had a mind of its own. Although I claimed to my instructor that the final finished project was as I had envisioned, he didn't buy my spiel.

Perhaps, if I had "Creating Glass Beads," as a reference guide, I would have changed paths and explored lampwork beads instead. My finished beads would have been less labor intensive and would have glowed with vibrant colors instead of looking like a muddy river.

The author, Jeri L. Warhaftig has written a very informative and important book for would-be bead thinkers and doers. There is a very impressive introduction. She points out all the necessities useful in setting up a bead studio work space.

Her approach in writing this book is quite different. Jeri recruited fourteen talented volunteers who were invited to participate in a series of tutorials organized around a particular skill building exercise. Most of the porjects are directed towards the intermediate beader, although I could certainly see an adventuresome beader lighting up the torch, putting on the safety goggles, and exploring the challenges of the vibrant colored molten glass rods.

The photographic resolution is excellent. The gallery pages display both fun and intriging lampwork beads executed by a talented cast of creators. I would highly recommend "Creating Glass Beads" by Jeri L. Warhaftig. This book presents a inspiring visual learning experience. My glass professor's mantra always was "learn one, teach one." The author certainly does just that with her breathtaking array of lampwork bead techniques and "how-to."


No comments:

Post a Comment